Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Outstanding

The Martin Fury Cycle

So this is about the wonderfully named Twain Martin. I did a bit of research on this while lurking in the Discord channel (highly recommended) when Darkrasp mentioned the Martin Fury item.

For those that do not know, Twain Martin was:

Software Engineer

Blizzard Entertainment
January 1997  June 2005 (8 years 6 months)

One of the initial 8 members of the World Of Warcraft development team; saw the project through shipping and several patches
Initially worked on the core database and game creation tools for the project
Helped evolve and maintain the server architecture as well as client graphics
One of two SQL DBA’s for the creation and architecture of the SQL databases
Lead a team rewriting the visual effects, model, and animation systems; team was essential in WoW meeting its ship date.
Implemented spawn, loot, items, dressing room and other game systems
Lead a development team which created client/server support tools for the customer service department

According to his wife Lisa Martin:

His Name is Twain and was a programmer at Blizzard that worked over 90 Hrs a week during the making of WOW. The items were made with his kids Jade and Tisa to test Tools he had just made. They were also used for QA. He Now works at Obsidian Ent...... I know this because I am Twain Martin's wife. It is funny to read all the stories though.......No Doubt his heart and soul is in the game.

This is him (allegedly) in old Outlands...

outlands1.jpg

outlands3.jpg

So what makes Twain Martin so iconic is not unfortunately the countless hours he put into Vanilla WoW giving us the MMO we all love, but to an item named after him: Martin Fury....

Image result for martin fury

This was an item intended for developers only to be used in testing content etc, and there the matter would have rested except one day....

On the US Vek'Nilash a player by the name of Leroyspeltz had his account hacked and sent in a GM ticket to get his equipment and items back. Most were returned including stuff from the guild vault. But he was still missing some toons which he assumed were transferred elsewhere. At a later date, he and his guild <The Marvel Family> had a loot issue, and while in dialogue about this, raised the continuing absence of these missing toons.

Blizzard did indeed restore the toons plus some random items. In his L13 Warlock account however, he discovered Martin Fury....

The guild leader Karatechop figured the item was given intentionally, so the guild preceded to use the item 13 times to kill off bosses including a number of realm firsts and one-shotting their way through Uludar. Needless to say, this came as some surprise to rival guilds and an investigation was launched. There's a brilliant article write-up about in in Engaget here:

Martin Fury Bad

There's an interview with the player after he was permanently banned 

here

So if you receive mysterious gifts in your mailbox at any time, particularly Martin Fury, I suggest you alert the GM's and hand them back....

Good post, I don't think it's him in the screenshots though, because it's the footage from Exploration the Movie by Dopefish. That video was actually banned from warcraftmovies shortly after being uploaded because of Blizzard company policy regarding unreleased content.

31 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

Good post, I don't think it's him in the screenshots though, because it's the footage from Exploration the Movie by Dopefish. That video was actually banned from warcraftmovies shortly after being uploaded because of Blizzard company policy regarding unreleased content.

Now that's interesting. Because the original thread on ''Martin'' was that he was a player that acted as a bug fixer for Blizzard and used a series of scripts to hack into pre-release regions. So I'm wondering if this just got confusing and people started making assumptions (kind of like I do all the time). There's a ton of legendary information out there and this is just my way of passing the time until PTR.

Thanks for the link.   

12 hours ago, Outstanding said:

The guild leader Karatechop figured the item was given intentionally, so the guild preceded to use the item 13 times to kill off bosses including a number of realm firsts and one-shotting their way through Uludar. Needless to say, this came as some surprise to rival guilds and an investigation was launched. There's a brilliant article write-up about in in Engaget here:

"Intentionally" right... im pretty sure they all figured it was a mistake and hoped they would not get caught. 

15 hours ago, Outstanding said:

So if you receive mysterious gifts in your mailbox at any time, particularly Martin Fury, I suggest you alert the GM's and hand them back....

Always the best thing to do. Unfortunately most players still tend to think that they will get away with it lol

11 hours ago, Pandora said:

Always the best thing to do. Unfortunately most players still tend to think that they will get away with it lol

hell, i know i would've tried to keep it.. maybe i would've gotten caught with it -eventually- but i wouldn't rush any world firsts

fucking LOL

Edited by Chalk
brevity

Awful how he was part of the 'base' operation of WoW and is no longer apart of it, I wonder what WoW would be like if he was still developing?

He did a brilliant job with Vanilla.

Edited by AzAMOuS

As Twain's little sister I can also confirm the existence of this item. However I do not know the full details of how or if it actually ended up in game. Another little Easter egg though are the orphans in Stormwind. Maybe this is old news, but many are named after the developers real children. Specifically because the kids hardly saw their parents while they were tirelessly working to get the game shipped, effectively making them orphans of WoW. I played vanilla for a good 5 yrs and saw my nieces and nephew running around SW quite often. Twain left Blizzard a long time ago. But funny enough his son Jade has been with Blizzard working on Heros since it was still in development. From an orphan in WoW to a Dev for Heros...

Edited by VanillaWoWsis
Grammar and content